Saturday, February 15, 2014

Let It Breath

Stockpiling firewood in the garage today for the eventual return of winter to our home, I found the wood under the tarp to be moist with dew.  Evidently, my thorough covering of the pile, from earth to earth on all four sides, caused dew to form and drip upon the split logs of future warmth.

My Dad had taught me back in the day, when I didn't appreciate the lesson, that you must cover just the top, otherwise, the woodpile will behave exactly as mine had.  Go figure.  Dad was right.  Again.  Always resistant to his teachings, I guess my mind did keep one ear open to his lessons, perhaps understanding that one day his wisdom would come in handy.  I continue to learn from him, finally listening all these days later.

Which got me to thinking.  What other teachings did I pick up from Dad?

His passion for gardening.  I will never be the gardener my Dad was but every time I'm planting the annual Bok Choy "crop" or the lettuce in the planters that will reap tender greens for a future lunch, my Dad is in my memory.  His passion for his garden was legendary.

His extreme love for the outdoors.  Not don't misunderstand.  He loved the outside but was not extreme.  No boarding the half pipe or sweating and bleeding through a triathlon.  Not him.  But he did like to walk, he did love to camp and he did wax up the old cross country skis at the mere hint of snow.  The guy just loved breathing in the fresh air of the out of doors.

His love for sports.  His love for competitive sports was infectious.  In his latter days, when the eyesight was poor at best, he could be found cuddled up closely to the TV screen, trying his best to not miss any of the action.  Fortunately for him, he did finally get to see his beloved Boston Red Sox win a World Series before he passed in 2006.

It is through my Dad that I learned the importance of loyalty.  He spent all of his career with one company but more importantly, he spent over 50 years with the love of his life, his wife, my Mom.  Such steadfast love, such devotion.

Thanks Dad.  You are always in my heart and mind.  I have only begun to consider how to live up to the example you have set, particularly, your love for helping others.  Like the cover of the wood pile, I need to let the process breath...




1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, my love. I see all his best qualities in you .

    ReplyDelete